If a suspicious piece of mail is discovered, follow the steps listed below.
- 1. Isolate the item.
- 2. If it can be done safely, quickly document the visible surfaces of the item, including sender, recipient, postmark data, and physical description.
- 3. Maintain a safe physical distance from the item.
- 4. Wash your hands with soap and warm water.
- 5. Alert others nearby that a suspicious letter or package has been found.
- 6. If medical attention is warranted, contact local authorities.
Call Postal Inspectors at 1-877-876-2455 and state “Emergency.”