All OPM-designated 1811 Series Criminal Investigator applicants must apply competitively via the Inspector Recruitment Application System (IRAS), and will undergo an abbreviated applicant screening process.
You will need these computer specifications to apply for the position:
• PC running Windows 7 (touch screens are not recommended)
• High-speed internet (recommended)
• Internet Explorer 11, Chrome 51 or higher, Firefox 30 or higher
• Phone and tablet devices are not supported
Applicants who have previously applied for the Postal Inspector position do not need to create a new profile:
You will need to validate your Social Security Number (SSN) if you wish to reapply for this position.
1. Log into IRAS with your User ID and password
2. Review and update your profile information.
New applicants must create an account with a User ID and password:
1. Select Applicants Registration at the top of the page to initiate the application process.
2. On the New Account page, complete all fields with an asterisk.
3. Select Create User. You will be advised to check your email for further instructions. Please check your spam folder as well.
4. Look for an email with the subject line: New Account Validation. It will confirm your new account and instruct you to copy and paste a URL into the web browser.
5. A new message will appear: User has been validated.
You may then begin the application process:
• Select Click Here to log in. Enter all fields and select Save.
• To change information after saving, select My Profile.
• You may edit your profile on the View Profile page.
You must provide the following information in your application:
• Driver’s License Information
• Post Secondary Education
• Work History
• Specialized Experience (see special skills list above; describe your specialized experience and skills in the text boxes of the application)
• Service in the U.S. Armed Forces and Veterans’ Preference
• Geographic availability (you must select at least one Duty Station listed above in the application)
• Basic entry qualifications
Applicants will be required to validate their current 1811 career employment status by providing a copy of their current SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action. For more information on Criminal Investigation Series 1811 positions, please reference an OPM document entitled, “Job Family Position Classification Standard for Administrative Work in the Inspection, Investigation, Enforcement, and Compliance Group, 1800“.
Contact: Applicants with questions should email PIRecruitment@uspis.gov